I am presently working on a research project to present a book or booklet (format still to be decided) about Morrinsville Wheelers Cycling Club which will be published as part of the 50th year celebration of the club in 2014.
If you have a significant story, for example: an event, a memory, certain people, or a period of time in which you were involved with the club or a thought you wish to express that encapsulates your experiences associated with the club please email
with the approximate date of your information, the main people and event, (this may help me uncover some stories for each decade from 1964 onward).
It is not possible to publish every story, but it may be possible to share a few ideas which others will appreciate.
Perhaps you have a photo you can email to me? That would be fantastic! Please email me in advance with your ideas and we can discuss what options we have for sending such things.
Here are a few thoughts people suggested, perhaps you can add to these, all emails will be much appreciated!
- Morrinsville 50 Open and/or other club races (did you know in the late 1980s there were over 200 entrants in the Open race and approximately 70 in the A and B Grade Novice two day event)
- The Bev May Women's Tour
- Sponsors of the club
- Catering for athletes with disabilities
- Supporters of the club
- Athletes who have represented New Zealand
- Athletes who have competed at Olypmics, Paralympics, Commonwealth Games
- National Champions and national medalists
- Club Coaches
- Afternoon teas
- Club Training Rides
- The Accident which sadly took three lives on a training ride
- Traffic Management
- The connection between Waipa Wheelers (now Te Awamutu Sports Club) and Morrinsville Wheelers
- Road and Track Cycling
- Your favourite Circuits
- Club Trophy Days
- Bev's Scrapbooks
- Significant Club Families
- Quirky stories and things of interest
- How cycling with Morrinsville Wheelers has helped you in a significant way
- Riders from overseas who have raced in Morrinsville
- The list goes on...
I have not long before I have to really get into this project, so sooner rather than later is my preference for receiving information. Afterall, 2014 is around the corner!
Many thanks in advance - please email to:
Have a great day!